Friday, March 14, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Truffles

We like to celebrate St. Patrick's Day around here, so when I saw these truffles, I had to make them! I like to send something with the kids to school for their teachers for St. Pat's Day, and I thought these would be perfect.

All you need is:
1 pack of mint Oreos
1- 8 oz. package of cream cheese
Chocolate almond bark
green candy melts


The first thing you do is place all of the cookies in a food processor and crush them up completely. Do not let your oldest child eat one, no matter how hard he tries. ;0)



After they are all crushed, put them in a bowl with the cream cheese and mix them together with a mixer. (If you have a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment.)


After it's nice and creamy, place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.


When you are ready to form the mix into balls, get a cookie sheet and wax paper. I used a small ice cream scoop to get the mix out, but you can use a spoon or your hands.


Roll the dough into balls and place on wax paper on the cookie sheet. When they are all formed (It will make 24-28 balls depending on how big you make them), place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes.


While you are waiting for the balls in the fridge, melt the chocolate almond bark. (I only needed 1/2 of the package.)


Have your kitchen helper place the balls in the melted chocolate. (I do realize that this looks like she is sticking her entire hand in the chocolate, but she didn't do that, even though she would have wanted to. It just looks that way.) :0)


Using a fork so that the excess chocolate can run off, lift the balls out of the chocolate after being completely covered. 


Place them onto wax paper to dry.


While those are drying, melt your green candy melts. (Again, I only used about half) I then poured it into a small Ziploc bag so I could squeeze lines onto the truffles.


Just cut a tiny bit of the tip off of a corner, and squeeze lines out. 



When they are completely dry, pick up each truffle and carefully break off any excess chocolate.

Then I placed them into cellophane bags and put them in these cute baskets. I just got some baskets with a green stripe at Dollar Tree. I put green Easter grass in each one and wrapped clover garland around the handle:


This  was the note I put in each basket:


The kids each got to try one & were very disappointed that they only got one and the rest went to their teachers. :0) They all said we need to make more so they can have more! I think that means they liked them. ;0)

These were a very easy treat to make! 

2 comments:

  1. WOW the whole thing looks awesome!! The teachers must love you. I bet they fight for who gets your kids in their class :0)
    -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianna, do you get alerts for these things! I thought I might be able to comment before you this time, but I have failed. :-(
    Anyway Jenny, those looks yummy! Where's mine?

    ReplyDelete