Thursday, October 22, 2009

Candy Corn Cookies

Or: The cookies I will never, ever, make again.
Really.
Have you ever had an idea and you think, "That's sounds cute and easy."
I had one of those thoughts this morning. I was trying to think of something cute for Riley's Halloween party at school tomorrow. I thought that I could make sugar cookies that look like candy corn. Now I know I could have just cut out triangles and frosted them orange, white, and yellow. But, I must be watching too much Ace of Cakes and Food Network Challenge, because I thought that putting food coloring in the dough and just rolling out the dough to cut out cookies would be a much better idea. Hindsight is always 20/20.

So, here is what we did:
First I had Riley help me make the dough and color it the right colors.


Then he helped me roll out the dough....but not for long....

These were so hard to make! It took me forever to figure out the right width to roll the different colors of dough out. (I had giant cookies at first!) I finally figured it out after about the third try and lots of wasted dough. =(

I really did almost give up and just do (buy) something else. But, Riley really wanted these cookies, especially since he helped make them.
So, here are the finished cookies:

Not quite as cute as I had pictured them in my head though. Oh well. I think I will definitely just use frosting next time....and I don't think I am quite ready for my appearance on Food Network Challenge. =)

1 comment:

  1. I laughed SO HARD reading this!! Sorry Martha that your cookies did not turn out how you had hoped, but they do still look great! Yes, frosting would have been WAY easier :0)

    -D.

    ReplyDelete