Monday, May 3, 2010

Our Garden

On Saturday, we planted a garden.
The boys have been asking to plant one for weeks now.
To quote Zach:
"Mom, I want to be able to grow our own food, so I can walk outside and pick fresh food off the vine."
There's only one problem with that.
Zach only likes a few select vegetables.
I would love to grow tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc.
But I would be the only one eating them.
So, we went to the store and picked out these seeds.

Green beans (Zach's favorite), carrots, and they talked me into watermelon.
(We'll see how that one works out....)
We also picked out giant sunflowers (my favorite) and Riley picked out some pretty purple flowers.

They do like other veggies, but I don't exactly have a green thumb, and I am not brave enough to try those. =)

We started out with Jeff building a wooden frame for where we wanted to plant the food seeds.
We also bought dirt to put in there to help the seeds grow.
Lily helped Jeff spread it out.
While Jeff was working on that, the kids & I planted the flower seeds.

The dug, planted, and covered up the seeds.
Then we moved over to the bigger garden and planted the green beans, carrots, and watermelon.
We are really excited to watch everything grow!
I will keep you updated on our progress. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment