Wednesday, April 23, 2014

50

I have now lost 50 pounds!! I started this new way if life on January 2, 2014 when my doctor called me with blood results. Diagnosis: diabetes. Not the way I thought I was going to start this new year. To say I was devastated is an understatement. But, then I learned (and am still learning) what I needed to do to get myself healthy, and got myself going in the right direction. 
Now 4 1/2 months later, I am very happy to say I have lost 50 pounds! I have a ways to go, but I am proud of myself for getting this far. :0) I also had a check up yesterday. My doctor was very happy with my weight loss and with my day to day blood sugars. Today I got a call with my blood results. When I was diagnosed my hemoglobin levels were 8.1. Normal is 5.6. Today I was told they are 5.9!!! That's a crazy amount for them to drop in less than 5 months. :0) I was told to keep doing what I'm doing. 
So, what am I doing? I do exercise, but probably not as much or with enough variation as I should, but I am doing it, and will work at making that change better. 
My main change has been my eating habits. I now eat breakfast. I used to hardly ever eat it, and that really isn't good for you. I will eat an egg or a piece of 45 calorie toast (from Sara Lee) with butter, Dannon light and fit yogurt ( it has the lowest carbs), or almonds. I switched from flavored creamers in my coffee to flavored coffee (no added carbs or calories) and fat free creamer. I don't snack at all usually and if I do, I make good choices and have small portions. I drink a LOT of water. Seriously. I don't drink as much diet pop as I used to, and I don't drink juice at all. If I want something sweet to drink, I drink Crystal Light drinks. They have no carbs and only five calories! 
As for carbs, I have cut down on them, but not out. If I know dinner is going to be carby, I have no or very little carbs for lunch. When I do have carbs, I try to make good choices on the kind of carbs I eat. I always try to choose foods with natural sugars over processed sugars. Of course, portion size is also a biggie now. I am much more careful about the amount I out on my plate. And lastly, I not only look at carbs, I look at calories. I could eat sausage and cheese everyday (no carbs) but that's not exactly healthy. I have to take calories into account as well.
This hasn't been an easy road. It took awhile to go grocery shopping the first several times. I checked the labels of everything, comparing brands, flavors, etc. I still have to look at some stuff, but for the most part I know what I want when I go to the store. I also have poured over Pinterest, cookbooks, and websites for tasty, healthy meals my whole family will eat, which is not always easy. I have found some I love and some I will never make again. ;0)
Overall I think I have had a pretty good attitude about all of these changes, but there have been days when I just don't want to do this anymore. When I don't think this is fair. When I'm tired of watching every little thing I put in my mouth. Then I have days like today, when I get a call giving me actual results of my hard work, and an affirmation that what I'm doing is the right thing. For me, for Jeff, and for our kids. I know I'm going to keep having days where I just plain hate this card I've been dealt, but I know that I'm healthier now than I have been in a long time. And that makes it worth it. :0)

2 comments:

  1. So SUPER Proud of you and all you have accomplished! The time, effort and dedication you have invested to make this work is inspiring!
    Love, D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm so, so proud of you!!!!!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete